Friday, November 20, 2009

Comfort food: Cauliflower Soup

Since it was chilly, I decided soup was in order. Wanting something a bit different, I opted for Phyllis Stanley's Cauliflower Soup (Healthy Recipes, 2001).

After making a white sauce in my Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker with 1/4 C butter and 4 T flour (stirring well with a whisk), I added I C milk, 1/4 t white pepper, one egg yolk, 1 t salt, 1/8 t nutmeg, 1/2 t lemon juice . . . cooking until bubbly. Then I added 4 C vegetable stock (2 cans) and 1 head of cauliflower, chopped in pieces.

After everything came to a boil, I put the lid on & brought the pressure up to the 1st ring - for just 4 minutes. After letting the pressure release naturally, I mashed the cauliflower a bit using Mom's vintage potato masher. A sprinkle of parsley and voila - about six cups of slightly exotic soup for lunches this week.

Phyllis has pressure cookers on sale now: phyllis@breadbakingsupplies.com or
Her mailing address is: 7455 Winding Oaks Drive Colorado Springs, CO. 80919 Her telephone:719 528 7098

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog