Sunday, February 7, 2010

Carrot Casserole - who knew?

One of my latest cookbook acquisitions is: Bake Until Bubbly: The Ultimate Casserole Cookbook by Clifford A. Wright, 2008. (Okay, I refrained from putting it in citation format). I always find something interesting in here. So this weekend I needed a veggie dish to add to my dinner menu. And, I found this simple recipe.

2 # medium carrots, peeled & sliced 1/4" thick (Note: I used the mini peeled carrots, sliced with my food processor)
6 T unsalted butter
1 C crushed Ritz crackers
1 large onion, chopped
2 T flour
6 T milk (I actually used more)
1 t dry mustard
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
*Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and cook the carrots for 7 minutes. Drain & set aside.
*In a skillet, melt the butter. Transfer 4T to a bowl and add in the crushed crackers.
*To the remaining butter, add the onion and cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. Add the milk, mustard and salt - cooking on low until thickened, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
*Combine the carrots and cheese sauce and place in the buttered casserole dish. Top with the buttered crackers and bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
*Note: may halve recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog