Friday, November 18, 2011

Pesto, pesto!

Okay, so I went a bit overboard with the basil plants in the garden this year.  As they reached over two foot high, I started harvesting the leaves for pesto.  The recipe I used most was from In the Kitchen with a Good Appetite (p.16).  I used a mixture of pine nuts (to use them up) and walnuts.  Quick work in the food processor got the leaves to pesto.  To store in the fridge, I covered the top of the pesto with olive oil to preserve the bright green color.  For longer storage, I did the same and then popped the container in the freezer.  To use the frozen, I scoop out what I need.

For yummy scrambled eggs, I stir in a scan teaspoon of pesto and a large tablespoon of ricotta as the eggs are setting up.  Served with braised swiss chard sprinkled with balsamic vinegar.  What a wonderful taste of summer.

From the same cookbook, I also enjoyed putting together a pan full of Roasted Chicken Thighs with Basil and Ginger (p.134).  Since I wasn't ready to part with one of my green tomatoes, I used peaches instead and it was delicious.  Think sherry, basil, minced garlic, fresh gingerroot . . . all easily baked in a mere 20 minutes.  The sauce is so good with bread or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog